The Arizona Department of Transportation will begin work to repave nine miles of Interstate 17 between Middle Verde Road in Camp Verde and State Route 179 (Sedona turnoff) on Sunday evening, July 1.
The $4.2 million project on I-17 (mileposts 290-299) will include the removal of a layer of the existing pavement, repaving the roadway, guardrail replacement and bridge repair.
Work next week will be limited to guardrail replacement on northbound I-17 and a pavement test strip at the southbound McGuireville rest area. No work will take place on the Fourth of July holiday.
Drivers can expect the following overnight restrictions next week:
● There will be moving right lane closures on northbound I-17 from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. Sunday, Monday, July 2 and Thursday, July 5 for guardrail replacement
● The southbound McGuireville rest area will be closed from 8 p.m. Thursday, July 5 to 8 a.m. the following morning
The project is scheduled to be completed by the end of September.
The work zone will be clearly marked by temporary barricades and signage. ADOT advises drivers to allow additional time to reach their destinations and to proceed through the work zone with caution, comply with the reduced speed limit, and be alert for construction equipment and personnel.
Prior Update June 15, 2012: Traffic on southbound Arizona Interstate 17 at Cordes Junction will be shifted onto the new northbound Big Bug Creek bridge next week, while northbound traffic will be rerouted through a bridge construction work zone, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.
The traffic shifts will require lane restrictions in both directions and periodic full closures of I-17 up to 30 minutes between 11 p.m. and 3 a.m. during Wednesday and Thursday nights.
The following restrictions and closures will be in place:
● Monday (June 18, 2012) through Thursday (June 21, 2012) from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. – northbound and southbound left lane closures to allow crews to move large amounts of dirt safely from the median, place concrete barriers, and restripe the roadway.
● Wednesday (June 20, 2012) from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. – intermittent southbound lane closures and full closures up to 30 minutes from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m. to allow crews to switch traffic onto the new Big Bug Creek bridge.
● Thursday (June 21, 2012) from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. – intermittent northbound lane closures and full closures up to 30 minutes from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m. to allow crews to shift traffic through a bridge work zone.
ADOT advises drivers to adjust travel schedules in order to avoid the closures or allow extra travel time to reach destinations. The work is part of a $50 million project to reconstruct the I-17/State Route 69 traffic interchange.
The work zone will be clearly marked by temporary barricades and signage.
ADOT advises drivers to allow additional time, proceed through the work zone with caution, comply with the reduced speed limit, and be alert for construction equipment and personnel.
ADOT works to inform the public about planned highway restrictions, with the possibility that unscheduled closures or restrictions may occur. Weather can also affect a project schedule. To stay up-to-date with the latest highway conditions around the state, visit the ADOT Traveler Information Center at www.az511.gov or www.SedonaEye.comor call 5-1-1.