The City of Sedona is seeking volunteers to serve on a newly formed Budget Oversight Commission that will help the City in preparing the five-year capital plan and annual budget. The commission will consist of seven members appointed by the Council for specific terms of service.
The commission is solely advisory to the Council but will play a key role in providing important public input on budget policy, including revenue recommendations, capital planning processes and prioritization for continuation or elimination of programming and services in order to maintain a balanced budget.
The Commission will meet regularly to review information and provide feedback in concurrent with the Budget Calendar in order to meet key deadlines for feedback to the Council to assist with formulation of the annual budget.
Citizens interested in serving on this commission must be Sedona residents, or own a business within the corporate limits of the City of Sedona. Four 2-year terms and three 1-year terms are available for appointment. Meetings will typically be held the Third Wednesday of each Month, November through May from 10:00 a.m. to noon.
- The commission works with a staff liaison to review budget conditions such as:
- Review and discuss financial reports and revenue and expenditure projections.
- Advise on situations of budget exceptions including, but not limited to, shortfalls and/or overages in revenue expenditures.
- Review Council Priorities and recommend capital and operating funding levels in accordance with those priorities.
- Advise on possible new revenues, fees and taxes as needed.
- Take information learned in the meetings back into the community, and bring questions/concerns from community members to BOC meetings for discussion.
- Participate in community outreach activities as arranged by staff.
- Provide information to City Council through staff reports on an as-needed basis.
In addition, commission members must commit to becoming familiar with the Annual Budget and Budget Process and various other financial policies and reporting tools. The City Council is interested in a group that broadly represents the community; therefore a financial background is not required to serve.
Applications may be picked up at the City Clerk’s Office, 102 Roadrunner Drive, Sedona City Hall. Applications must be returned to the Clerk’s Office by 5:00 p.m. on September 7, 2010.
The Annual Budget and Audit documents are available at the City Clerk’s Office or on the city website at www.SedonaAZ.gov/Finance. For additional information, please contact the City at (928) 204-7127.
Assistant City Manager, City of Sedona
102 Roadrunner Drive
Sedona, AZ 86336