Sedona Fire District2860 Southwest Drive, Sedona, Arizona 86336 Telephone (928) 282-6800 FAX (928) 282-6857
REGULAR BOARD MEETINGStation #1 – 2860 Southwest Drive – West Sedona – Multipurpose Room Thursday, September 27, 2012 / 4:30 PM
~ AGENDA ~
Pursuant to ARS §38-431.02, notice is hereby given to members of the SFD Governing Board and to the public that the Governing Board will meet in Public and Executive Sessions for its Regular Board meeting beginning at 4:30 PM on Thursday, September 27, 2012, in the Multipurpose Room of Station #1. Members of the Governing Board and legal counsel may attend either in person or by telephone conference call. The following topics and any variable related thereto will be subject to Board consideration, discussion, approval, or other action. SFD may vote to go into Executive Session, which will not be open to the public, on any agenda item pursuant to ARS §38-431.03(A)(3) for legal advice with the Fire District Attorney on the matter(s) set forth in the agenda. All Agenda items are set for possible action.
Public Input: Citizens may make oral comments on specific Agenda items or on any topic relevant to District business during the public forum. Citizens who wish to speak should complete a Request to Address form, indicating the topic they intend to address. Citizens may also submit written comments of any length to the Fire Board. NOTICE: Public comment is encouraged, but it is important that everyone demonstrate the appropriate decorum, courtesy and respect during the meeting. Please treat your fellow citizens with courtesy. Outbursts, interruptions, and personal attacks will not be tolerated.
I. CALL TO ORDER/ROLL CALL.
II. EXECUTIVE SESSION.
A. Vote to go into Executive Session relating to the following items:
1. ARS 38-431.03(A)(3) Legal Advice and ARS 38-431.03(A)(7) Consultation/Negotiations with representative for the possible Purchase, Sale or Lease of Real Property – Re: Sedona Area Property; Easement Issues on Sedona Area Property; other SFD Real Property.
2. ARS 38-431.03(A)(3) Legal Advice and ARS 38-431.03(A)(4) Instruction to Attorney – Re: Lowell Johnson Complaint.
III. RECONVENE INTO PUBLIC SESSION.
A. Salute to the Flag of the United States of America and Moment of Silence to Honor all American Men and Women in Service to Our Country, Firefighters, and Police Officers.
B. Badge-Pinning Ceremony for Division Chief Scott Schwisow; Battalion Chief Ed Mezulis; Training Officer Michael Duran; Firefighters Jake Hanna, Dave Yingling, and Tyler Woo.
C. Discussion/Possible Action: Follow-Up for Executive Session Items:
1. Sedona Area Property; Easement Issues on Sedona Area Property; other SFD Real Property.
2. Lowell Johnson Complaint.
IV. PUBLIC FORUM.
Speakers are limited to a three-minute oral presentation and may submit written comments of any length for Board files. Board Members may not discuss items that are not specifically identified on the Agenda. Therefore, pursuant to ARS 38-431.01(G), Board action taken as a result of public comment is limited to directing staff to study the matter, responding to any criticism, or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date.
A. Public Comments.
B. Executive Staff Response to Public Comments.
9-27-12 SFD Regular Meeting Agenda.doc Page 2
V. CONSENT AGENDA.
A. Consent Agenda – Discussion/Possible Action:
1. August 22, 2012 SFD Regular Business Meeting Minutes.
2. August 22, 2012 Executive Session Minutes.
A. Items from Staff:
1. Monthly Staff Report – Fire Chief Kris Kazian. (Chief Kazian will update the Board on information, events, and activities from the past month on all areas of the district. The Board may not propose, discuss, deliberate, or take legal action on these matters unless it is specifically and properly noticed for legal action. Therefore, action taken as a result of the Staff Report will be limited to directing staff to study the matter or scheduling the matter for further consideration and decision at a later date – ARS 38-431.02.K.)
2. Wildland Fire Update.
3. August 2012 Financial Report.
4. Discussion/Possible Action on Items relating to ARS 38-961 – For Public Safety Employees:
a. Possibility of Extending the Insurance Benefit for an additional Six-Month Period to complete revision of SAP #1031, Workers’ Compensation.
b. Insurance Policy for Mandatory Coverage for Public Safety Employees on Workers Comp.
5. Discussion/Possible Action: Purchase/Lease Agreement with Physio-Control.
6. Discussion/Possible Action: Board Resolution #2012-10, Disposal of Surplus Property – Generators with Waiver of Liability.
7. Discussion/Possible Action: Delegation Agreement #06-053 Between SFD and Arizona Department of Environmental Quality.
8. Discussion/Possible Action: Memorandum of Understanding Between SFD and Sedona Police Department for Technical Support and Maintenance – SPD Communications Center.
9. Discussion/Possible Action: Amendment to CommSpeed Airport Mesa Tower Lease/Option and Lease Agreement for Ground and Tower Space Dated August 27, 2002.
10. Discussion/Possible Action: Revising the IGAs for Dispatching with the Following Agencies: Black Canyon City Fire District; Camp Verde Fire District; Clarkdale Fire District; Cottonwood Fire Department; Jerome Fire Department; Mayer Fire District; Montezuma-Rimrock Fire District; Pinewood Fire District; Verde Valley Fire District; Verde Valley Ambulance Company.
11. Update: Station #6 Architectural Planning Process / LEA Architects.
12. Update: Request For Proposals for a New Ambulance (Budgeted Item).
13. Update: Creating New Career Firefighter/EMT List including Reserve Candidates.
14. Update: Information on Proposition 117 and Effects on Sedona Fire District.
15. Update: Newly Revised SFD Organizational Chart Effective October 1, 2012.
16. Update: Recent Lightning Strike Damaging Telecommunication Equipment in District.
17. Reminder: October SFD Board Meeting to be held at Station #3 in the Village of Oak Creek.
9-27-12 SFD Regular Meeting Agenda.doc Page 3
B. Item from Board Member Diane Schoen:
1. Discussion/Possible Action: Current SFD Board Policy #2011-01, “Principles of Sound Financial Management: Purchasing” to be Policy #2012-01, if revised; Check-Signing Responsibilities. (Tabled on 8/22/12.)
C. Item from Board Chairman Ty Montgomery:
1. Monthly Update: Fees from April 2011 to Current for Legal Services Provided to SFD.
VII. FIRE MARSHAL’S SAFETY MESSAGE.
Corrie Cooperman (signature affixed), Clerk of the Board
SFD Multipurpose Room is accessible to the handicapped. In compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act, those with special needs, such as large print or other reasonable accommodations, may request them through SFD Executive Assistant at 928-282-6800.
Posted by: Tricia Greer Date: 9/20/12 Time: 6:00 PM