SEDONA AZ (October 23, 2012) - Harley McGuire, SedonaEye.com Paws Up Star Columnist wants to remind everyone to have a great time dressing up, playing fun tricks and scooping up candy treats this Halloween while always staying safe and sound. Harley McGuire has written a list of Halloween safety tips for everyone to remember:
• Follow a safe route and never allow children to be unaccompanied while trick or treating.
• Use a flashlight, carry glow sticks and put reflective tape on costumes and cover-ups.
• Only buy and wear costumes, shoes, and treat bags that are safe and flame-retardant.
• NEVER enter strangers’ homes or cars. If neighbors or an organization offer a haunted house or indoor activity, ALWAYS accompany your children regardless of age. Be aware.
• NEVER eat candy before inspecting it! Any homemade treat or fresh fruit should be inspected for signs of contamination and disposed of immediately if suspect for any reason. Any candy that is open should be disposed of immediately, no exceptions. If an item is accepted from a stranger, due the due – diligence, of course!
• DRIVERS and WALKERS, PAY ATTENTION! Drivers have a difficult time seeing people and animals at dusk and at nightfall. NEVER cross the street between parked cars, NEVER assume that a driver or walker sees you – inattention and distraction, age and excitement can be factors in a fatal accident and an unnecessary death. Driving safely is your responsibility. Walking safely is your responsibility. Making the world a safer place is everyone’s responsibility.
• NEVER carry fake knives, swords, and guns but if you choose to ignore this sage advice make fake weapons from neon colored cardboard or foam to avoid accidental injury or death.
• DEVELOP a safety net system for your child.
- Names on clothing labels, personal information written on a slip of paper in a shoe, always accompany your child, encourage a buddy system with check-in rules. Meet at a lighted corner and NEVER be out of touch longer than 30 minutes even in a familiar territories! Teach your children to NEVER approach a home with barking dogs or a home with a porch light turned off – let them know this is a sign they are unwelcome. Teach your child to NEVER “go in” when invited – teach them safe words like “My parents are watching and they said no.” Teach your children to leave without candy, to turn away from stranger danger!
Equally important is making sure that your house and Halloween candy are safe for trick-or-treaters! Harley McGuire points out that grown-ups can do very simple things to make the evening safe for everyone:
• Turn on your porch light.
- Turn porch light OFF if you do not want trick-or-treaters to approach your door -and post a big notice “No Treats.”
• Move lit jack-o-lanternsoff the porch where kids get bunched up if they are trick-or-treating in groups.
• Remove objects from your yard that might present a hazard.
• Drive slowly all evening-you never know what creature may suddenly cross your path.
• Do not dispense home-made treats or fruits to children. Pennies are always a good substitute!
• Do not be afraid to report any suspicious or criminal activity to the police.
Harley McGuire reminds all trick-or-treaters to NEVER approach one of his animal pals while trick-or-treating! If you see one of his pals guarding a door or yard, help them do their job by staying away. NEVER touch or talk to one of Harley McGuire’s pals unless a human mom or dad gives permission.
Have a happy and safe Halloween. Here’s a Harley McGuire Shout Out to Sadie the Pretty Lady along with a reminder for every human mom and dad – please stock up on treats for ALL the family!