Sedona AZ (September 20, 2012) - Many APS power customers in Arizona are joining a national groundswell of property owners and renters organizing against local power utility companies on-going replacement of current digital and analog meters with so-called ”smart meters.”
A primary reason for the anti-smart meter consumer outcry is radiation exposure.
In its continuing coverage of the smart meter installation controversy, the Sedona Eye will attempt to provide an open forum for APS and its customers to vet concerns, to share and seek information as to the truthfulness or falseness of smart meter claims and beliefs, and to debate issues that may arise as it relates to the APS smart meter installation decision.
The following is a Q&A opinion piece sent to the Sedona Eye by Nancy Baer, Sedona Arizona anti-smart meter activist and is based on her and fellow researchers opinions about potential hazards associated with smart meter installation: The smart meter Q&A opinions herein, including the image notations (top right), are those of its authors and are reprinted for the purpose of a public vetting and debate of the authors anti-smart meter installation opinions and research findings:
Nancy Baer and fellow anti-smart meter activists write the following Q&A opinions:
- “APS says smart meters are green—they save energy and will stop global warming.”
Energy savings happen only when customers use less. You don’t need a radiation-‐emitting and privacy-‐intruding smart meter to save energy.
It’s APS’s green-‐wash money-‐grab.
- “APS says smart meters emit RF radiation only 45 seconds a day. That’s not very much…”
What they don’t tell you is that means 22,000+ spiked pulses of RF radiation, going off all day and all night—and you cannot turn it off. This is enforced exposure to a World Health Organization Class 2B carcinogen—RF microwave radiation.
- “It’s not true that smart meters make people sick—otherwise it’d be in the news.”
All over California and the US, smart meters have made people ill—headaches, ringing in ears, sleep disturbances, heart problems, nausea, anxiety.
RF causes DNA breaks and blood-‐brain barrier breeches. Thousands have submitted complaints to authorities. How many more?
- “They won’t let my private data from the smart meter get into the wrong hands, will they?”
Utilities and the industry have been talking from the beginning about the massive goldmine of data they are going to collect from smart meters. Are you and your family for sale?
- “APS says I can control all the appliances in my house online, and save money.”
Unless you replace every appliance with new, radiation-‐emitting versions that “talk” to your smart meter—a very expensive way to “save money.”
- “APS says the radiation from my cell phone is stronger than a smart meter.”
Peak power of the spiked radiation pulses from a smart meter can be stronger. It’s your own personal cell tower—all night, all day, every day.
- “Why haven’t I heard more about smart meters in the media? It must not be that important.”
Media blackout is no indication of anything but the power and money of APS and the wireless industry. Who do YOU think should determine what goes on your home?
- “I hear we need to update the electric grid. APS says smart meters are part of the smart grid.”
Wireless smart meters are not a necessary part of grid upgrade. Our grid does need much work—but wireless meters make the whole grid MUCH more vulnerable to cyber-‐attack.
- “They tell me smart meters are safe. They wouldn’t be putting them on houses otherwise—right?”
There are many accounts of fires and appliance damage resulting from smart meters. Smart meters lack the most basic safety certification from Underwriters Laboratories (UL).
- “APS wouldn’t lie—or do something unsafe, unhealthy, or intrusive, would they?”
APS’s record of disregard for the human consequences of its actions goes back decades. These are untested devices. You are their guinea pig. They are a monopoly utility, and by now we know what monopolies do: ABUSE POWER. But this time we say NO.
- What can you do?
- Call the APS Opt-‐Out List at 602-371-‐7171 * Tell APS that you want an Analog Meter Only * Put up a No Trespassing sign and a “No Smart Meter” sign on electrical panel.
- Then visit these websites to find out more:
- SmartMeterDangers.org (end Q&A submission)
What is your opinion? Agree or disagree? Do you have smart meter research that may contradict or affirm the findings of Nancy Baer and fellow anti-smart meter activists? The Sedona Eye welcomes and prints all points of view. Submit yours in a Letter to the Editor or Q&A opinion piece to Editor@SedonaEye.com and or as a comment below this article. Join the conversation!