PHOENIX AZ (May 28, 2012) – Arizona Interstate 17 and its frontage roads are scheduled to be closed over two weekends in early June 2012 as crews set the spans for a new pedestrian bridge just north of Jomax Road. The closings will be during the night and in one direction at a time to lessen impact on interstate travelers.
What to expect:
● Northbound Interstate 17 closed between Happy Valley Road and Loop 303 from 11:30 p.m. Friday (June 1) to 4 a.m. Saturday (June 2)
● Southbound Interstate 17 closed between Loop 303 and Happy Valley Road from 11:30 p.m. Friday (June 8) to 4 a.m. Saturday (June 9)
● North and southbound I-17 will not be closed at the same time.
Drivers will use an 18-mile detour around the work zone. ADOT advises drivers to be well rested and have enough fuel in vehicles before entering this detour route. Services including gasoline, food, water and restrooms are limited.
The detours are:
● Northbound drivers: Exit at Happy Valley Road westbound to Lake Pleasant Parkway northbound to Loop 303 eastbound to reconnect with I-17;
● Southbound drivers: Exit at Loop 303 westbound to Lake Pleasant Parkway southbound to Happy Valley Road eastbound to reconnect with I-17.
The new pedestrian bridge will cross I-17 at milepost 220, just south of the Central Arizona Project (CAP) canal. ADOT scheduled installation to occur after the busy Memorial Day weekend so holiday travelers would not be impacted.
Members of the public with questions or comments can email Projects@azdot.gov or call 1-855-712-8530.
Ease the commute for your family and friends and share this information. ADOT appreciates travelers patience and cooperation during freeway construction and maintenance projects. Follow SedonaEye.com for updates and or call 1-800-949-8057.